Posting ID : A1068523576
Date Posted : 2015-08-19
Category : Software Qa Dba Etc
We need someone to assist us with our programming efforts. The position available is in our Ithaca office.
We are a small high tech company working in geotechnical surveying. We are continuously developing new hardware and software products based on developments in the industry, customer demand and the cleverness of our own engineers. At times things can be extremely fast paced -- rushing to get new hardware and software ready for use on specific tasks in specific locations. In slower times we work hard to improve on our designs and to make them as usable and bug free as possible.
Your initial focus will be on software improvement and design.
This is a mid-level position.
The quick version of expectations: you will design, write, test, document and maintain software with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.
Expectations and responsibilities -- a longer version:
- perform specific programming tasks as requested
- test all new development - complete unit and system testing of all products first in test environments and then live
- write documentation as required
* code changes are commented
* source control commits are commented
* software documentation is written and updated as programs change
- use source control for all development
- serve as a technical resource and mentor to junior programmers as necessary
- follow established coding rules
- participate in code reviews as necessary - as a coder and as a reviewer
- perform other tasks as requested
- manage priorities -- work on several projects at a time
- manage own time effectively -- not stay "stuck" on any one issue
- self motivate -- work to further company goals under minimal supervision
Programming languages/environments used:
- Visual Studio Professional versions 2010-2015 primarily for .Net programming
- Matlab/Octave/IL Numerics
- Visual Basic, ASP.Net, Tcharts and Silverlight for GUI components
- Real time constraints on software
- Some embedded programming in PicBasic or C
- Some programs/modules in C/C#/C++
- SQL/Server and Compact databases
- Source control is under Subversion
- Some use of legacy Delphi
- Some use of Safenet for software protection
- Flexibility in programming languages and environments for new development
We are not looking for someone who masters all of these technologies - none of us do. This does, however, give a fair idea of what we are presently using and where we think we'll be going. We would like someone to help us get there.
Some travel may be required.
Our preferred candidate, short version: you have at least a BS in CS as well as 3-5 years experience in programming.
Our preferred candidate -- longer version. You will:
- live locally
- have a related degree
- be a good communicator and fast learner
- have a strong aptitude for programming and a can-do attitude
- be strongly self-motivated
- know when to ask for guidance and assistance
- be well-versed in software development practices and life cycle
Good communication as well as strong math, physics and reasoning skills are all very desirable.
- paid health
- an onsite gym
- paid time off
- a friendly work environment
- 401K with employer match
- profit sharing
- flexible work schedules
Please email us a letter of introduction and a copy of your current CV.
PS: We are not looking for a contractor or a remote-only person - please do not apply for the position if either of those describe you! Thanks for looking anyway!
PPS: We also specifically did not check the box "direct contact by recruiters is okay" so why, if you're a recruiter, would you contact us? When you do you're creating ill will across the entire bitverse. Spam isn't cool!