Posting ID : A1068515359
Date Posted : 2015-08-19
Category : Nonprofit
Soccer for Success Program Assistant (AmeriCorps Position)
compensation: Living stipend plus education award at the completion of 1700 hours.
Soccer for Success is the U.S. Soccer Foundation's innovative youth development program that uses soccer as a tool to combat childhood obesity and promote healthy lifestyles for children in under-resourced urban communities. The program operates for 90 minutes after-school, three days a week, at tweleve low-income elementary schools in South Seattle. Participants recieve free, quality soccer programming that includes lessons on nutrition and the importance of being active. Soccer for Success is committed to addressing the holistic needs of under-served children and using sport for social change.
The Program Lead will assist in program operations with the goal of positively impacting the health and well-being of our participants and developing a state-wide community based around active lifestyles and holistic health. Responsibilities are centered around deepening Soccer for Success' impact and include outreach to local community and service organizations, volunteer recruitment, and interacting with participants and coaching staff at program sites. This position is a volunteer opportunity with a stipend of just over $1,000.00/month.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Outreach to local community organizations, service organizations, and schools to bring relevant health and social service information to participants and families.
2. Creation of the Nutrition Curriculum Guide, a compilation of nutritional information and teaching tools that will be used to train coaches and increase our community impact. The Guide will include sections on the importance of being healthy and eating well, physical and mental health risks associated with poor nutrition and lack of exercise, creative ideas including recipes for eating healthy on a budget, and socially and culturally responsible ways to teach nutrition.
3. Recruit and train volunteers to provide coaching and nutritional teaching assistance.
4. Plan Community & Family Events that focus on healthy habits, behaviors and holistic health. Assist in facilitating said Community & Family Events.
5. Create survey measuers to evaluate Family & Engagement Event success.
6. Visit program sites to observe and assist coaches as needed to lower the coach:child ration and improve the quality of instruction for the children.
7. Assist with equipment distribution.
8. Assist with the collection and reporting of attendance data to ensure reporting compliance.
Reports to Washington Youth Soccer Community & Outreach Programs Manager
Works in partnership with school and community partners
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent. A BA/BS degree is preferred but not required. Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of poverty related issues (through personal, work, and/or academic experiences)
Ability to work with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting
Ability to develop concepts such teamwork, healthy lifestyles, sportsmanship and nutrition
Ability to maintain professional relationships with School and Community Partners
Ability to adapt to changing circumstances
Ability to manage time effectively
Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft products including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are preferred but not required.
Knowledge of soccer preferred.
Knowledge of youth development preferred.
Driven; Detail oriented; Excellent communication skills
Must be able to pass the Washington Youth Soccer Risk Management Assessment and Federal Background Check.
The Program Lead will volunteer 1700 hours over 10.5 months and will receive $1,000.00/month as a living stipend. Upon completion of the 1700 hours the Program Assistant will receive an education award. Heath insurance is available. Childcare is available to those who qualify.
In addition the Program Lead will receive training and professional development opportunities, both through AmeriCorps and Washington Youth Soccer.
To apply, complete the application form at
Please include a cover letter, indicating your interest in working with the Soccer for Success program.
Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities