Posting ID : A1068508862
Date Posted : 2015-08-19
Category : Education Teaching
ESL Instructor Duties and Qualifications
Dharma Realm Buddhist University is hiring an ESL instructor. The instructor will work with individuals and small groups of students in specific courses or in academic skill areas (e.g. reading, writing, grammar, pronunciation, etc.). Instructor may work directly with particular professors as well, offering support to a class as a whole.
Characteristics of Duties and Qualifications:
1. Instruct individuals in a classroom setting.
2. Conduct placement assessment and monitor language skillsprogress
3. Provide a structured and developmental ESL curriculum.
4. Attend staff meetings and in-service workshops.
5. Keep daily attendance records and progress reports.
6. Create a classroom environment that is conductive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students.
7. Prepare and submit monthly reports in a timely basis.
8. Coordinate program activities with other program staff to promote the most effective instructional program goals.
9. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor related to student academic needs.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Humanities required; MA. Degree preferred.
Experience: Three years teaching or tutoring experience, preferred.
1. communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
2. recognize variations in student backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles
3. interact in a friendly and patient manner with students from different cultural backgrounds, students of all levels of language proficiency, and students who may have disabilities
4. present standard American English language clearly and serve as a linguistic model for students
5. respond to student writing both holistically and analytically
6. listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning for students, and build student confidence
7. help/guide students without doing the work for them
8. acquire deeper understanding of both course material and tutoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students
9. operate office equipment including computers, data projector, and printer and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, database management, network management, desktop publishing, and Internet navigation applications
10. work independently and collaboratively
11. perform general clerical functions including maintaining accurate records and compiling information and statistics
12. plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines
13. articulate clearly the information listed in the "Knowledge of" section below
1. correct pronunciation
2. use of prepositions and articles
3. noun morphology
4. verb morphology
5. subject / verb agreement
6. forms of basic verb tenses
7. basic writing conventions
8. coordination and subordination
9. fragments, comma splices, and fused sentences
10. punctuation marks
11. confusing words
12. spelling errors
13. topic sentences; thesis statements; introduction/body/conclusion
15. effective paragraphing
16. writing evaluation: standards and techniques
17. vocabulary and effective word choice
18. computer-aided instruction techniques
19. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) methodology
Interested applicants should submit a resume with two references and a cover letter that describes applicant's commitment to support the university's mission.