Posting ID : A1068477508
Date Posted : 2015-08-18
Category : Healthcare
Responsible for the oversight and execution of all aspects of the kitchen to enable production of timely, tasty, visually appealing meals according to menu plans and standardized recipes that meet the dietary needs of residents. Works with vendors to procure residence supplies, food, food preparation items, and dietitians to achieve nutritionally balanced recipes. Develops menus, trains kitchen support workers, ensures kitchen cleanliness and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY: (Essential Functions are noted in italics)
1. Oversees food preparation and service staff to ensure all meals are prepared according to the planned menu and that standardized recipes are being followed. Prepares and posts weekly menus. Suggests menus or recipe changes so that leftovers and over-stocked items are used in an efficient manner.
2. Schedules regular onsite visits with a dietician to review the menus and diets of the residents. Also has any significant changes made to the menu reviewed by a dietician to verify that all nutritional needs are being met.
3. Maintains awareness of all therapeutic diets and provides instruction to the food service employees on how to prepare and serve those meals.
4. Ensures that all foods are prepared using safe methods that will conserve the nutritive value, flavor and appearance, and will be served in an attractive way at the proper temperature.
5. Responsible for posting each week's menu in an area that is available to the residents at all times. Any changes to this posted menu must be recorded and kept on file.
6. Establishes a method to allow for resident feedback regarding the selection of foods served and the scheduling of meal service.
7. Responsible for complying with all government regulations with regard to food handling, production, sanitation, and infection control.
8. Oversees shopping and inventory control. Responsible for ordering all food, kitchen supplies, and chemicals used in the food service department.
9. Responsible for ensuring the kitchen is properly staffed and assures all shifts are covered in the kitchen. May also assist in the interviewing, hiring and evaluation of all food service staff.
10. Maintains a working knowledge of all kitchen equipment and small appliances. Responsible for training all food service employees to use equipment and appliances in a safe manner.
11. Maintains an organized and sanitary kitchen. Including the logging of temperatures for the refrigerator, freezer and dishwasher. All kitchen work areas are to be kept neat and clean, and trash containers emptied after each shift.
12. Stocks inventory as it is received. All items are to be dated when received and placed into inventory accordingly. The FIFO (First In/First Out) method of inventory is to be used.
13. Responsible for maintaining cost control and following a budget.
14. Submits food service reports to the Director.
15. Responsible for the preparation of all special event meals.
16. Implements and monitors a routine cleaning schedule for entire kitchen and kitchen personnel.
17. Works shifts including overtime, scheduled weekends, holidays and rotating shifts when necessary.
18. Performs all other duties assigned by the Administrator or supervisor in charge.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Associates Degree or some college coursework preferred. High School graduate or GED required. Training, education or certification in both dietary preferred.
2. 2+ year of kitchen and cooking experience with at least 1 year in the lead role to include supervisory experience and experience cooking for large groups. Must be able to follow established menus.
3. Excellent organizational skills