Posting ID : A1068464932
Date Posted : 2015-08-18
Category : Nonprofit
AmeriCorps Builds Lives through Education (ABLE) is an education focused National Service program. We collaborate with education programs that share our mission of increasing the academic success of K-12 students in Buffalo, NY. We provide these partners with full-time (40/hrs. a week) ABLE members who are hardworking, experienced, committed and passionate about making a positive change in our community.
We are currently seeking individuals who can serve for eight (8) weeks full-time (40 hours per week) during the Fall of 2015. Candidate must enroll by August 31st to be eligible.
SITE: West Side Community Services
ABLE members will help WSCS staff address the specific like-skills education-related needs of approximately 125 children. WSCS has a long history of providing activities and opportunities not readily available to kids growing up in a neighborhood characterized by failing schools and high income disparity. This fall, WSCS ABLE members would be involved in the following activities
- Computer classes for seniors
- Supervising the homework room, gym, and game room for 6-12 year olds
- Evening programming with 12-19 year olds, with a focus on health programming.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to follow directions and meet expectations
- Ability to transform creative ideas into well-formed activities
- Basic knowledge of child development stages
- Basic Knowledge of team development stages
- Skills in both verbal and written communication
- Skills in basic office procedures
- Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications (WSCS Will coordinate a group training for ABLE members and WSCS staff)
Required Academic and Experience Qualifications:
- Experience/training in youth development field
- Background in regular or special education, social services and/or psychology, with two or more years working with children in schools, after school programs, and camps.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED required, one+ year(s) of college preferred
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, national or lawful permanent resident alien
- Able to provide the following documentation: birth certification, driver's license or state photo ID, social security card and high school diploma or college degree
- Must undergo a state criminal history check *REQUIRED*
Interested individuals MUST include a cover letter and resume when applying to this posting.
AmeriCorps Builds Lives through Education is a program operated by The Service Collaborative of WNY. The Service Collaborative of WNY (TSC) creates opportunities for all individuals to serve their communities, challenging them to turn their ideals into action and their passion into positive change