Posting ID : A1068457776
Date Posted : 2015-08-18
Category : Food Beverage Hospitality
We are looking for a part-time Jam Kitchen Assistant for the Green Briar Jam Kitchen in East Sandwich. Green Briar is a non-profit nature center and jam kitchen run by the Thornton W. Burgess Society. http://www.thorntonburgess.org
Hours: 8-4 (exact days to be decided)
Salary: $10.00 to start
One part time person to work now - mid December (3 days a week)
Jam Kitchen Assistant
Preparation of fruit and jarring of jam kitchen products as requested by and under the direction of the jam kitchen manager
When necessary, interacting with the general public, especially visitors to the jam kitchen
SOME HEAVY LIFTING REQUIRED
1. Assist with the preparation and assembly of all ingredients for jam kitchen products following the kitchen procedures and recipes. Sterilize all kitchen utensils and product.
2. Jar all prepared products using jam kitchen methods to provide quality food product.
3. Assist with kitchen clean up tasks after preparations and cooking have been completed.
4. Greet the public as they enter and walk through the kitchen. Answer questions if possible.
5. Assist the jam kitchen manager or other Society staff when necessary at Society special events, especially those that require the use of kitchen facilities.
6. Work closely with kitchen volunteers and, if necessary, acclimate them to jam kitchen procedures.
Ever since Ida Putnam began the Jam Kitchen in 1903, visitors have come to Green Briar to savor the aromas of fresh fruits cooking on the stove or in the heat of the sun. Today the Jam Kitchen is a "living museum" where visitors may view the cooking process first-hand. The kitchen still operates using Ida's recipes and preparing the jams, jellies, relishes and pickles the "old fashioned way" in the turn-of-the-century kitchen. Green Briar's sun-cooked preserves are cooked slowly and gently in the oldest commercial solar-cooking operation in the country.