Therapy Dogz - therapy dog group
Date Posted : 2012-05-05
Group : Pet Services
Gainesville's Therapy Dog Group
FREE WORKSHOP - TUESDAY, 5/22 at 6:30 pm - no dogs at this workshop
Share the love!
Therapy Dogs visit many places, including assisted-living facilities, hospitals, libraries, and schools, in order to bring joy to people who are unable to have a dog with them.
If your dog is freindly, likes people and other dogs (you may come into contact with other dogs during your visits), likes new things, knows basic obedience, and is of sound temperament, he may be a good candidate as a Therapy Dog. He must be up-to-date on vaccinations, groomed, and clean during visits.
Join Therapy Dogz
For your dog to be a Therapy Dog:
1. Intro to Therapy Dogz Workshop on Tuesday, May 22 at 6:30 pm (no dogs)
2. Pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen test (can be done during Therapy Dogz Evaluation, if notified ahead of time)
3. Focus Workshop
4. Trickz is highly recommended, to break the ice during visits
5. 2-hour Therapy Dogz Training Workshop (with medical equipment & your dog)
6. Pass our Therapy Dogz Evaluation
7. Rejister with Therapy Dogz
You must have:
1. Rejistration application
2. Veterinarian form
3. Head shot of your dog
Rejistration is good for 1 year and includes:
1. Therapy Dogz Identification Card
2. Dog Identification Tag
3. Certificate of Rejistration
4. You must purchase the Therapy Dogz official vest
Suggested Training Classes
1. Start with AKC STAR Puppy, Basic Manners, Toy Dogs, or Totally Pit Bull.
2. Attend K-9 Sports and pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen Test.
3. Attend Trickz and earn the Novice Trick Dog title. Teach your dog fun tricks to break the ice during therapy dog visits!
4. Attend Focus Workshop.
Therapy Dogs are not Service Dogs. They do not have the access and ability to accompany their owner into restaurants and stores.