Posting ID : B1008586887
Date Posted : 2012-05-05
Category : Writing Editing Jobs
Classical Music Data Editor
The Gracenote Content Team is responsible for one of the largest and most commercially significant Media Databases in the world. As part of Gracenote Content, the classical team is responsible for updating and maintaining the classical music segment of the database, while creating new metadata that will expand the functionality of the genre in Gracenote products.
Gracenote®, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, powers the biggest names in digital media with leading edge technology solutions. When you see the Gracenote logo on a product you can be assured of a superb digital media experience.
Gracenote is looking for a Classical Music Data Editor. This person will be responsible for fact-checking and editing classical music metadata and participating in the process of creating new methods of accessing and utilizing that data.
Daily responsibilities to include:
Editing Excel worksheets of metadata related to classical recordings and video products based on established Gracenote standards and methods
Proof reading, copy editing and fact checking previously processed and newly submitted data
Formatting the data for upload into the database
Interacting with classical team members vis-à-vis musical questions and judgment calls
Interacting with other teams' members in issues involving classical music data
The Classical Music Data Editor needs to have a thorough knowlege of the history and stylistic evolution of classical music; be able to contextualize complex genre-related relationships within the music and its composers and performers; and make authoritative editorial descisions based on that musical knowlege. The bulk of this work will be done primarily within Oracle and SQLServer databases and Excel spreadsheets.
succesful candidates will be confident, creative, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and flexible. The candidate must be able to maintain focus on multiple tasks and deliverables under tight deadlines.
· Extensive knowlege of western classical music, its composers, performers, historical eras
· familarity & comfort with MS Office Suite, particularly Excel.
· Experience with data manipulation via SQL, custom scripting, Excel, etc.
· Experience with Oracle and/or other relational database management system(s)
· Experience with participating in long-term data projects through a full lifecycle
· Experience reviewing and navigating large amounts of textual data
· Experience transforming and interacting with complex XML files
· Experience with disambiguation and de-duplication
· Experience with infomation relationships, data structures and data standards
· Functional in European languages
· familarity with data manipulation software applications and/or processes
· Experience with applicable scripting languages - Perl, Python, Bash, etc
· Experience with data mining
· Attention to detail and problem solving
· Strong capacity for pattern recognition, trend spotting and/or anomaly detection
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
Bachelor of Arts or Sciences Degree
For futher consideration, please apply online at: