Antique Bowman Dairy Milk Can

Posting ID : B1004994428
Date Posted : 2011-05-13
Category : Antiques

One of a kind piece in its original, unrestored condition with a beautiful original antique patina.

Please note: this milk can has the original lid!

BOWMAN DAIRY:

In 1874, J. R. Bowman of Clinton County, Illinois, headed west to St. Louis, where he established a dairy marketing business called J. R. Bowman & Co. In 1885, Bowman entered the Chicago market by purchasing the milk business of M. A. Devine. In 1891, Bowman and his brothers decided to sell their St. Louis operation and move to Chicago, where they formed the Bowman Dairy Co. This company soon became one of the leading suppliers of dairy products and eggs in the Chicago area. During the 1920s, it opened large bottling plants on the South Side. By the middle of the 1930s, Bowman employed over 3,000 Chicago-area residents. The company continued to carry on a large business until 1966, when it was purchased by a local rival, the Dean Foods Co.

Inscription reads:

RAW MILK

PERMIT NO. 140

ROY L. PASSFIELD

W. MC HENRY, ILL.

R.1

Lid reads:

BOWMAN CHICAGO

DIMENSIONS:

13" in diameter at the base

21" tall

Price is firm.
Cash and carry only.

Scam attempts will be reported.


Some Other Postings